GA provides very useful GEO data in its demographic reports category. You can find traffic behaviour and conversion reports for continent, country and city based on ip addresses. However, what if you want to produce data for specific sales target territories like:
- North East England
- North West England
- Yorkshire and the Humber England
- East Midlands England
- West Midlands England
- East of England
- South East England
- South West England
The process I used is a long one but involves:
- Download data of top 500 city visits for a period up to six months
- Make a comprehensive list of the cities and their respective categories – a good use of juniors or interns.
- Create a custom report for each sales territory using explorer type
- Decide the metrics, dimensions and drill downs you want in the report as the field and
- Choose filter and enter the towns as regex (regular expression) with pipe symbol (|) to signify “or”
Now when you run the report only designated towns for the region will show and be counted. Phew!